OSEA Anthropology Ethnography Field School. OSEA Travel guide for Yucatán, Chichén Itzá, Cancun, Maya Riviera. Travel information for hotels in Cancun. Bus Schedule for Chichén Itzá, Maya Riviera Hotels, Tulum hotels and bus Schedule, Tulum travel information. Ethnography equipment research guide. Study abroad preparation for travel. Cancun Tips, Playa del Carmen Travel Advise, Cancun Airport, Merida Airport. Cozumel, Cruise port. Meridan En Domingo. hotels in Playa del Carmen, travel advise Chichen Itza, hotels in Piste, Yucatan, things to do in Chichen Itza, Balankanche

OSEA Participant Login
Passports & Visas
Getting To Yucatan
Choosing Airlines & Airports
Guide Books & Websites
Travel Agencies & Insurance
Climate, Diet, & Your Health
Money & Banking
Cell Phones & Electricity
Personal Concerns & Clothing
Personal Items
Equipment & Supplies
Checklist To Bring
Gifts for Homestay Families

On Arrival at Airport
Bus Travel & Stations
Getting Around Mérida

OSEA on Facebook
Escuela Abierta en FB
OSEA FB Photo Albums
OSEA Image Galleries
OSEA YouTube Vids

OSEA Field Study Abroad Programs in Mexico


OSEA Travel Guide Yucatán & Maya Riviera

Passports & Visa


Do I need a Student Visa to Participate in OSEA?
No. You do not need a student visa to participate in any OSEA program. You only need a Mexican tourist visa that is available upon arrival at the Mexican border at which you enter the country. Do not seek to get a student visa based on participation in OSEA.



US Government Passport Requirements
If you are a US Citizen you can leave the USA without a passport. However, if plan on returning to the USA, you must have a US passport. In other words, when traveling to México you are required to use a US passport -- not to get into Mexico but to get back into the USA from Mexico!
Go to the State Dept. Passport Services to apply for a new passport or process a renewal.

US State Dept FAQ Sheet travel requirements for México.

Check Here for Current Passport Processing times

Click here to check on the status of your passport application, renewal or replacement.



ROUTINE SERVICE As of( Sunday May 5, 2013 ), we are processing routine applications in approximately 4-6 weeks from the time of application.
EXPEDITED SERVICE* As of ( Sunday May 5, 2013 ), we are processing requests for expedited service in about 2-3 weeks door-to-door, when overnight delivery is requested and paid for both ways (to and from the passport agency).



Mexican Tourist Visa
México requires a visa. The Tourist Visa is issued at port of entry and can be issued for one month to three months. They are renewable for a total of 6 months.

If you wish, you can get a Mexican visa prior to travel from a Mexcan consulate office or embassy. you may go to the office and request a tourist visa of an extended 6 months at a minimal charge. If you are planning on staying in Mexico beyond 90 days for purposes of study at a Mexican institution or conducting business, consider applying for an FM3 Visa for approximately $100.

If you travel to Mexico without a visa... When you enter Mexico upon arrival in or when crossing the border into Mexico you will receive and fill out a Mexican Visa Form and Customs Declaration Form. When you hand this over to the Mexican Migration Officer, always request 90 days. If you are given fewer number of days than your trip, you will need to pay a service fee at the Migration Office to have your visa extended. Besides the fee (approx. $25) this is hassle as it requires losing one if not two days to go through the process.



US Consulate in Mérida, Yucatán
Calle 60 no. 338-K x 29 y 31, Col. Alcala Martin, Mérida,
Yucatán, México 97050
Telephone (52)(999) 942-5700 or 202-250-3711 (U.S.).



US Embassy in Mexico City




Top of Page




© 2004 – 2024 osea-cite. all rights reserved. | osea-cite home | contact us | id