Application Process & Materials
Transferring Credit
Concurrent Enrollment
Frequently Asked Questions
Is OSEA right for me?

OSEA Publications
OSEA Programs
OSEA Conferences
OSEA Image Galleries
OSEA Online Library
OSEA News & Updates
OSEA Statement on Human Subjects

Financial Aid and OSEA
Students can use their financial aid to participate in OSEA programs.

Grants in Support of Summer Field Study Abroad
Undergraduate grants and scholarships to participate in Research Study, Study Abroad and Field Study Abroad programs are few and far between. It is important to search wide and far to find any such opportunity for which you might be eligible. OSEA itself does not provide such support for students to participate in its programs. However your home university or college typically has a few such grants to award students.

These might not provide enough funds to cover ALL your expenses, but every little bit counts. Start your search at your International Programs or Overseas Study Office. Make an appointment with an IPO/OSO officer early on in the beginning of the fall semester or as soon as you realize you are interested in study abroad. They will have as much information as possible about funding opportunities in your college or university. Also visit with the undergrad advisor in the Honors College or Honors Program as well as the International Studies and Global Studies Program. These institutional programs usually have money set aside for students to use to help them participate in summer study abroad and summer field study abroad. Take advantage of these sources.

The internet is obviously another huge resource in your search for funding outside of your university or college. OSEA recommends the following sites as special places where you should start your www searches:

The Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship Program provides $5000 awards for U.S. undergraduate students who receive Federal Pell Grant to participate in study abroad programs. Applications for Summer Field Study are due in January. Contact the Gilman Scholarship Program at for more information about deadlines and application process. Visit their Facebook page.

The Fulbright Program for undergraduates and graduate students unfortunately does not support summer study, only year long indedpendent research or academic study at an institution. If you are interested in this, you will find that Fulbright has created a very useful Ultimate Resource Guide for the Fulbright Program.

Fulbright also has a binational program with Mexico to offer a variety of awards, including possibilities for graduate students to get a degree in Mexico or to get placed in a community or university to Teach English. These are operated through COMEXUS.

The Boren Scholarships are for undergraduate students in science, technology, engineering, and and to study abroad in semester, academic year and summer programs. These focus on learning Less Commonly Taught Languages LCTL -- such as Maya -- in countries such as Mexico on topics related to "national security." If you are interested in pursuing this scholarship contact OSEA Director Dr. Castañeda to help you develop your application, which is due February 10.


Heritage Ethnography Field School Summer 2011

Maya Immersion Language Program 2011

SELT Teaching English Service Learning Program 2011